JTL - What would you like to see?

Feb 28, 2024
Johnson City, TN USA
As an offshoot of the discussion about the TIE Advanced, we pushed outside the scope of the suggestion and pretty much derailed the discussion. I suggested starting a new thread, and here's where I'm going to start.

I have far too much material to cover in my thoughts on this, so I'm going to start with a look at the current system and where I think it fails us. After that, I have two primary ideas for what I think the system should be and how it should work. Those will be separate posts, again because there's that much information to cover.

Here, at the beginning, I want to be clear: I don't know what the limits are as far as what can be done, how it'll impact the existing mission and progression framework, or if even that the code will permit any of what I have in mind. I also don't know how much will or enthusiasm there is from our server developers to do anything at all with it - making this entire process a probable flight of fancy. But that's okay. Imagining what could be is fun too.

As I see it, there are numerous problems in many different areas. The chief areas, as I see it, is the meta that is lent to us by the parts system as it exists, balance, and finally the design choices that were made. I'm going to address all of these purely on their own, outside of any lore or timeline issues as much so as possible.

Balance-wise, the Imperials get the short end of the stick in a big way. By Tier Two, Rebels and Neutrals have multi-gun ship options - the Neuts even get a three-gun option in the Kimo. Imperials are stuck with single-gun ships until Tier 3, with that being the TIE Bomber - maneuverable as a flying brick. They don't get any three-gun options until Master. This puts them three and two Tiers behind their Neutral and Rebel counterparts. Adding to that issue, two of their three pilot branches are the most difficult of all 9. Granted, they do get the most powerful pilot ability (the Bomber Strike line), but I think this grossly fails to make up for the enormous difficulty penalty that they're under.

Our parts and ship-composition system, while it gives us incredible flexibility, doesn't give the different ship chassis any kind of fairness. While I talk about this area, I'm going to be leaning on the lore-reputations of some of the Rebel ships heavily to help communicate my point, but please understand that this isn't a point about the lore itself.
Take the Y-wing in this example. It has a reputation as a very tough yet sluggish ship that can mete out impressive damage. Follow that with the A-wing, as a very fast, nimble, but fragile ship. Then, between them, you have the X-wing, a jack of all trades, and basically the happy medium - perhaps even a pinnacle between them. But how different are all three ships in JTL? How fast is the Y-wing, X-wing, and A-wing using the exact same engine? I haven't been able to test this for hard numbers for purpose of this discussion (and won't for a couple of weeks due to an unrelated issue), but, maybe 15-20 meters per second difference between them? The mass difference between these three ships is E-NOR-MOUS. The same engine in a Y-wing that pushes it to 90 meters per second should push an A-wing to well beyond 150% of that. The Y-wing has a maximum mass well in excess of double that of the A-wing. The X-wing masses around two-thirds of the Y-wing, but doesn't see anywhere near the performance increase that it should with the same engine. An A-wing, with an engine that pushes an X-wing to 100 meters per second loaded, should absolutely scream across the map -=before overloads.=-
The system, as it stands, makes it a mass & hardpoint matter, completely ignoring the lore, the specializations, and the niches that each of these three ships are supposed to fill. All of these three ships are victims of those choices by SOE, but they are not the only ones.

This final part, the design choices that were made, is going to partly embrace the parts system as well. At the outset, I want to make it clear that I understand that there were limits of the time that we no longer have or are far less constraining than they once were. That said, there are some real head-scratchers here.

To a degree, I understand why there are the range-limitations put onto the weapons that there are. Each space zone is made up of 4096 cubic kilometers... Sounds like a bunch, right? 16km X 16km X 16km. Until you consider that you can see all of that distance and beyond standing on flat ground. 8km in front, behind, left, and right, then 16km straight up. With good weather, you can see that far with the naked eye and more. I'm amazed that they did as good of a job as they did of making that little space feel as large as they managed to.

Starfighter guns are supposed to be able to hit out to 1km. Missile weapons, utter joke that they are in JTL, should be able to hit out to a minimum of 2km guided, and far greater than that if dumb-fired (in other play environments and lore. Missile Weapons cannot fire without a lock in the JTL environment). Call it 5km, just to put a solid number on it that I know is good. Being able to fire anything that far in such a small-relative space is a problem... It shrinks the play-area in a way that can't be countered. Also, the opposition NPCs are tuned for that same distance-scale - likely to save on processing resources. For example, the Tier-6 Mercenaries in Ord Mantel - a popular set of spawns to camp and farm for parts - don't actively engage until you are within 900 meters of them. If guns had the range that they "should," a player would be able to blast them without any threat to themselves. This applies in most aspects of space.

I do not see this particular matter of weapon ranges as being something that can be addressed without rebuilding the entirety of JTL from top to bottom. Too many things depend on the scale as it was implemented. Changes in this regard can and would wreck everything about space.

But there's the matter of ships... Overall, I think SOE did a pretty good job with the Rebels. What they did with the B-wing is something they should be tarred, feathered, and flogged for, but the rest, they did a pretty good job. My problems with what they did start with the Neutrals... Between the big four - X-wing, TIE Fighter, X-wing Vs. TIE, and X-wing: Alliance - there's a huge and diverse spread of well-developed ships to have drawn from. The ships they made aren't bad, but they put in a ton of extra work that was already done for them here. Cloak-Shape Fighters, Preybirds, Daavab Starfighters... The list goes on. But nothing they did matches the complete BS of what they did with the Imperial fighters. Three "different" TIEs with the same hardpoint configuration for their first three ships?!? W H Y????? Nevermind their total ignoring of the Assault Gunboat (also known as the Starwing, first appeared in TIE Fighter, roughly compareble to a mating between the X- and Y-wings in terms of performance and armament), but there were still options. By including the TIE Bomber, they'd already blown the timeline. Why not include the TIE Avenger? Or one of the early prototypes of the Defender - which saw use in the battle of Hoth. Or any of the M A N Y other prototypes of different TIEs? This is a large part of why I think the Imperial Pilot Trees were last in the development pipeline, and either their people were burned out from the crunch or they just plain half-assed it to save time.

But that's enough of me on the soap box. I think I've laid out enough of a rough shape of where we are -as I see it- to give us a starting point. Please feel free to add your own thoughts of where JTL fell short, expand on mine, or even disagree. We can disagree and still talk this through.

Thanks for reading. More to follow at a later time, starting with what I think is the best route to balance, followed with a revamp, followed by a real pie-in-the-sky take of what it could be.

Until next time...

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024
Johnson City, TN USA
Part One - Balance

For this section, I want to focus on little things that could be done to help bring the three factions into a rough parity. I've already talked about how Imperials really get the shaft. This is where I'm going to lay out different ideas of how to fix that. Chiefly, I have two different solutions and one (that I just recently thought of) may be near-zero effort for the Devs to implement - but I want to be clear that I don't know that. I have a third, more-lore friendly option to include, but it's likely not practical and it's almost certainly not as easily implemented as my new idea.

Beyond that, I want to talk about how we can address one of the major deficiencies of the different chassis and how we can try to help balance the meta we currently see with minimal effort. However, this will have to be done carefully and will require careful testing and tweaking to get it right.

As I mentioned before, the Imps are at least two Tiers behind when it comes to gun-count. Guns are our primary weapons and what is used the most by far. This is the most important factor when it comes to determining how much damage a ship can ladle out consistently. For the Rebels, they can technically have a two-gun ship before finishing Tier One, though they require a gunner, so I'm not counting that in this evaluation process. Neutrals have the Dune Lizard before leaving Tier 1 - a ship which can carry them all the way through to Master with its high mass (150k+) and two guns. Imperials get another, slightly higher mass version of the TIE Fighter. :sick:

Tier two brings the Rebels their first true two-gun ship in the Y-Wing Longprobe. Neutrals get the Kihrax, a light single-gun fighter and the far more formidable -though sluggish- Kimogila which offers them their first three-gun option. The Imperials, having ended Tier 1 with a 20k mass version of TIE Fighter can now move up to the 80k mass TIE/In... with the exact same hardpoint configuration as their previous two options. :rolleyes:

Tier 3 has the Rebels receiving their first three-gun fighter in the X-Wing. And before I continue, I want to express my own disappointment in this. I'm not necessarily totally against having that third gun on an X-Wing. Yeah, part of that is my own Rebel bias as a pilot. (The other part of that is the absence of Uglies in the game. Another place that SOE missed the ship-boat. For more information on these, see here: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ugly/Legends ) But it should cost. You should have to make a trade, give something up, take a penalty, something... to mount that third gun. The Advanced X-Wing: that, I think, could -and probably should, for balance- be let go. It is a higher-mass, advanced version. On this lower-end Tier Three version? That third gun should be gone or it should cost something that balances the equation some.

Back on point, the Neutrals see the Ixiyen, a two-gun, two-ordinance fighter that while large, handles well. A formidable ship, and I have a few-hundred hours in it. She's solid.
That brings us to the Imperials at the back of the bus - again. They get the TIE Bomber, their first two-gun option also sporting two ordinance and nice mass in the 180-190k-ish range... but handling -IMO- far worse than its Rebel counterpart, the Y-Wing. Then we have what I think is the even greater insult - the TIE Interceptor. By the same example of every other ship in the game, the TIE Interceptor should have two guns. Even if the Interceptor did have that second gun slot, it doesn't have the mass to do anything with it at 50k mass. And the TIE/In from Tier Two is 80K??? The Tier 3 X-Wing gets three guns?!? Sony, what the actual Foxtrot???? 🤬

From Tier Four, discounting the travesties that came before, things begin to even out. The Rebels pick up the A-Wing. The Neutrals pick up the Rihkxyrk and the option of the Havoc (Edit: I forgot the N-1! an A-wing equivalent). For the first time, the Imperials see parity with the Rebels in the TIE Advanced. I still feel like the Imperials don't gain enough, but for the first time, the ship they gain is actually comparable to their Rebel counterparts. They also see the TIE Aggressor, which as I did with the Y-Wing in Tier One, I'm ignoring the second gun because it requires a gunner.

At Master level, the Imperials finally gain more than the Rebels. Everyone gains access to their respective POBs and gunboats (and the Imperial Gunboat is arguably better.) Rebels gain the B-Wing, which I can only describe as trying to fly while balancing plates on sticks... Not because she's that complex, but rather because of her maneuvering momentum that makes her more trouble than she's worth in spite of her impressive mass, four guns, and two ordinance bays. Neutrals also pick up the Krayt, essentially a Kimo with a turret for a gunner. Imperials finally find parity with the TIE Defender. While this ship falls far short of the lore-based terror she is, it's in the Defender that Imperials have an answer to the Advanced X-wing.

So how do we correct or help this?

My simplest proposal - Add a multi-use slot in place of the ordinance slot on the TIE/In

If you've flown a gunboat before, you may have noticed that their "ordinance" slots are unique. They can mount a pilot-controlled gun, an ordinance launcher, or countermeasure launcher. While I do not know, to my thinking, the easiest method to help balance the Imperials would be to replace the coding for the TIE/In's ordinance slot with the code for the gunboat's multi-use slot. I don't know if this is possible, but, if it is, it's a very simple, easy to test way to give the Imperials a hand.

It ignores all the glaring problems that we're bypassing, but it allows us to try to be fair to the Imperials with the absolute bare-minimum effort possible. It's not pretty, but it gets them some badly needed help.

My proposal that you've already seen if you followed the other discussion - Move the Bomber and Defender, while creating a new version of the Defender for Tier 3

I've already laid out my rationale for this in the TIE Advanced thread, so I've just copied and pasted that here -
1.> Move the TIE Bomber to Tier Two from Tier Three - in line with the Rebel Y-wing Longprobe.
2.> Make a Prototype version of the TIE Defender, roughly on par with the Tier 3 X-wing in mass. This should be the most intensive part of my proposal from a code/adjustment perspective, based on my understanding.
3.> Move the high-mass version of the TIE Defender to Tier 4 from Master Pilot, in line with the Rebel acquisition of the Advanced X-Wing.

Finally, a hybrid-proposal of my last that tries to address the total insult that has been delivered to the TIE Interceptor - Move the Bomber and Interceptor to Tier Two, remove the 20k-mass TIE Fighter, move the TIE/In to the end of Tier One, move the TIE Defender to Tier Four, and introduce the TIE Avenger into Tier Three

For those that aren't familiar, the Wookieepedia listing for it - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/ad_starfighter

I would propose using the TIE Interceptor's model for this and using similar stats to the Tier 3 X-wing. Two guns and all the standard trimmings. As proposed, this would bring the Imperials onto a very solid standing, similar to both the Rebels and the Neutrals.

To help give this the separation that I'd like to have from the other two topics I still want to cover, I'm going to continue and finalize this section in another message.

To Be Concluded 😸

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024
Johnson City, TN USA
Part One - Balance, Continued -

When I opened up the discussion, I mentioned ranges and the absolute joke that ordinance is in JTL. I've also touched on how so many chassis are used and abandoned or bypassed altogether in favor of the meta that our current parts situation leads us to. This particular issue I'm going to speak to now is going to try to help both of these areas a bit.

The answer to why so many ships get bypassed is a simple one - they can't do their jobs. The Y-wing, the rebel workhorse, has so much of its firepower tied up in its two ordinance slots. The same for the TIE Bomber. But these aren't the only ships that suffer for this. Every single fighter with more than one ordinance slot leaves a huge amount of potential in the hangar because ordinance is not what it is supposed to be by a very wide margin.

But...

As I mentioned in my opening, there is one half of this ordinance equation that we can't do much with and certainly not to the degree that these weapons were designed for - range. To give ordinance its proper lore range would be to break everything else about space. That said, I do think there is a little room to push out here. As I mentioned in my example, NPC ships react to the presence of a player ship at different ranges, and *I think* that scales based on the Tier of the ship in use as well as the level of the pilot. I will need to test this...

In JTL, missiles will start trying to lock on in the neighborhood of 650 meters. While it would require testing and monitoring, I think we could -possibly- explore pushing that range by 100-200 meters. By doing so, I think this could be an important step in making all of the bomber and assault class ships more viable. However, there's another, IMO more important, part here that will go much further to give these chassis purpose and a piece of their identities back...

The damage that ordinance does is also not even in the same ballpark as what it should be. Hell, it's not even the same sport. The burst damage that they do is one of the key features of the TIE Bomber and Y-Wing and ordinance is the source. I would like to propose that ordinance gets a H U G E shot in the arm. That said...

We have to be insanely careful. We could very well break space this way as well. Many pilots will have to reevaluate the value of loading counter measures (another discussion for another time) on their ships. Going too far or changing ordinance the wrong way can easily result in players being one-shot by NPCs. I think the best way to address this -if it gets any attention at all- will be through making the changes only to crafted munitions. To further help balance that damage boost against too great a value, the quantities can also be balanced.

By making ordinance worthwhile, I think we could very easily make several different chassis more worthwhile - and thus increasing the diversity of chassis that see use.

There's one last elephant in the room that I want to address. I've mentioned it before, but only in passing in my distain. Oh, you thought I was done? 🙃 Last part for this section, I promise. 😹

In any balance discussion, there's one ship that has to be mentioned. Something has to be done with/about the Eta-2, or JSF as it's more commonly known. I think we all know that it was a pure marketing decision and a very poor one at that. Its combination of high mass and lore-breaking stats makes the fact that all three factions can fly it the only balanced thing about it. For those that aren't familiar, the Eta-2 Actis Interceptor does not mount shields in lore. Only Jedi flew it, and their defense was their danger-sense through the Force and the ship's small size. The mass and volume taken up by shields would have made the starfighter's design impossible.

With it's 90k mass, it can be made into an absolute monster. My own standard configuration for these is twin Experimental Borstel Blasters (level 8 guns), level 7 shields - custom crafted or RE'd, level 7 engines, an RE'd level 6 reactor with enough capacity to allow all level 4 overloads, a level 1 booster, level 1 armor, a level 3 droid interface, a chaff launcher, and a level 3 Deepwell capacitor. It usually results in shoe-horning in the armor, custom built to accommodate whatever remaining mass I have after everything else. I'm always left with less than 500 mass.

Add to all of that it's ridiculously small size (smaller than an A-Wing I'm nearly certain), and you have a ship that is very tough, and very tough to hit - a combination that shouldn't exist, especially in light of the -at minimum equivalently-sized- A-Wing massing at ~66k mass when capped.

I would fully advocate chopping a minimum of 15k mass off of the JSF/Eta-2, bringing it to 75k mass. That's still plenty to outfit it very well. It would give me no pause to bring it into line with the A-Wing and TIE Advanced. On top of that, after bringing its mass down, I also wouldn't complain if it was made an Imperial-exclusive ship.

And on that popularity-inducing note /s, I'm going to stop and catch my breath for the next section - how I would change JTL. As before, please chime in with your own points of view - agreeing with me or not. I want to know what you think, even if it's full opposed to my point of view. It's by coming to agreement from where we are that we really gain.

Thanks for reading 😄
Until the next novel... 😉

Edit: Spelling... Again :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024
Johnson City, TN USA
Part Two - What I think JTL should be:

I'm going to have to go at this section a piece at a time. RL isn't being very kind to me right now, and I don't have the time to sit down and lay all of my thoughts out at once... so I'm going to do it in pieces.

My thoughts here are primarily going to revolve around the ships themselves and the fitting system. My reasoning for that is -if these ideas get any interest or traction at all- is to minimize Dev work-load. The only place that I'll stray from that is in further advocating for an increase in torpedo/missile/bomb range. My goal is to fence off this revamp idea in such a way that it can be addressed at the ship and equipment level only.

The Imperial-balance issue I'm also going to lay aside here... Trying to change two areas at once is a bad idea, because the changes can interact with unpredictable consequences.

As I mentioned above, so many ships are lacking their identities. A Y-Wing Longprobe can be equiped to handle more like a Superiority fighter than a bomber/assault ship. The TIE Bomber is a space-frozen-dried flying turd. Some TIEs are suited to their jobs by their stats, but others are not -and also unbalanced- for their jobs.

Complicating this process, the parts stats themselves offer no clarity to what effects they would have on their respective ships at the outfitting level. It's been a long long time since I saw the breakdown that someone generated of how all of these values are translated to a different ships performance, but I do remember that it was unnecessarily convoluted.

To fix what's wrong with the bomber and assault class fighters, ordinance has to be addressed. I would advocate for -as a starting place- doubling the minimum and maximum damage of all player-crafted ordinance systems and only those (Edit: to keep everyone from dying when they come across a Tier 7+ in Ord Mantel), adjusting as necessary but I see my doubling-starting point as being very conservative. Quantities of these items will likely require downward adjustment, but to my thinking, to give any of the bomber- and assault-class ships their purpose, increasing the damage is a crucial step that must be undertaken.
In this same line of thought, I also think that extending the range of these weapons by 100-200 meters should also be evaluated and undertaken. Bomber and Assault class ships give up a great deal of mass and space to carry these weapons. These weapons are by nature stand-off equipment. By chaining them to a range so close to guns, bombers and assault ships completely surrender the stand-off advantage, requiring them to engage like an interceptor or superiority fighter would. A role, that with the rest of what I am proposing, would rapidly become untenable and impossible for these ships.

In the beginning of this discussion, I used the A-Wing, X-Wing, and Y-Wing fighters to cite my reasoning concerning the engine values and the negligible difference of performance across the chassis. An A-wing -a 65k mass fighter for a nice, round number- should get enormously more performance out of the same engine vs an X-Wing (100k mass) and Y-Wing Longprobe (170k mass). That's assuming that such a large engine relative to the ship wouldn't tear the frame apart in the first high-G turn. I cited a level 7 (Mark IV) engine for my example. Why can't the A-wing achieve the same results with a smaller engine? This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about with regard to the parts system.

What I propose is changing the system so the engine thrust values are by a common value that can be translated into an understood interaction with the ship's stated mass. In this case, I think translating those values to Newtons is the most appropriate solution. But this isn't the only step... The problem with the JTL system is that it is so broad that, for example, a Superiority fighter, like the Advanced X-wing, can achieve stats that rivals Interceptors. If a three-gun ship can go as fast or almost as fast as a single-gun Interceptor, what ID-10-T is going to take the interceptor? Going back to my point about ordinance, If you can take a three-gun Interceptor, or a poorer handling two-gun ship with two ordinance that isn't that effective and runs out of ammunition in 10-15 shots, what ID-10-T is going to take the bomber? This is what I mean about ship's identities.

The other part of this would involve changing the ships themselves. I would propose fixing each chassis with a reevaluated maximum mass value. Then, with each chassis, establish a maximum Pitch, Yaw, Roll, Top Speed, Acceleration and Deceleration value. And no matter what, that base value cannot be exceeded. Boosters would still add their thrust value as they always have. Engine Overloads might need to be tuned, but they would add their modifier to that base value. This cleanly and clearly separates each class of ship into it's role. For example:

As defined in lore, the T-65B X-Wing has a normal maximum speed of 100 MGLT (MeGa LighTs per hour). This speed measurement is difficult to understand (reference link at the end) so I'm just going to translate that straight to Meters Per Second. This, I think, is the best way to keep everything in scale so as to avoid having to change anything about the space environment and missions themselves.

BTW - JIC you're not aware, to get the MPS value of your ship, take the speed value and divide by 10. In this example of the X-wing above, it's 100 MPS top speed would translate to 1000 on the HUD indicator. Moving on...

The Y-wing, 80 MPS, 800 indicated speed - again, before overloads or booster.

The A-Wing, 120 MPS, 1200 indicated.

Then, you take their maximum mass, which is 100k, 170k, and 65k respectively... But you don't stop there. Once the chosen engine is loaded, the actual speed, accel/decel, PYR values are calculated against the ships current actual mass.

In what I'm proposing with this change, you can load as large of an engine as you like within your mass restrictions. Once you hit this hard cap, ALL of the extra mass you spent on that larger engine is wasted. However, if you can achieve those maximums with a lower level engine -say a Level 5 (Mark III) engine- on an A-wing, the ship benefits. This is a good thing for a number of reasons.

1.> Depending on how the equipment is reworked, engines in this specific case, bigger isn't necessarily better. You can balance your ship to it's need rather than just getting a bigger hammer.

2.> This keeps ALL ships in their performance lane. Superiority fighters stay what they are. Ditto for Interceptors. And with the ordinance rework, Bombers find themselves again.

3.> This allows all of the light fighters with much more restrictive, in some cases unfair **cough**TIE INTERCEPTOR**cough** mass values to find new viability.

4.> This system would reward pilots for coming under maximum mass -being able to do more with less engine- and ease the burden on lower-level pilots, increasing their ships speed and maneuverability at the early stages.

I have much more detail in store here, but I'm out of time for now. I'll pick this back up as soon as I'm able.

As always, thanks for reading 😄

Edit: Spelling, forgot a bullet point, and a missing word

Last edited: