QoL Discussion: Random Loot, Tokens

Rezec

Polarizing Figure
Staff member
Jan 21, 2023
It should come as no surprise to everyone that RNG in this game is crappy. Many people come out of OG groups and feel like they didn't earn anything and could end up running the same content over and over and over again and never get the item they want due to RNG not being in their favor.

For this topic of discussion I would like to hear thoughts and ideas about making certain Loot items from current heroic instances attainable with tokens. The more rare and item, the more tokens it costs.

The benefits are that every person, on every run, feel like they are progressing towards a wanted item and more incentive to do heroic runs to work on attainable drop items.

I'd love to see suggested items that should be included and suggested Token costs.

DWTerabyte

Mar 12, 2023
I think this got a little off topic but I would like to bring it back. I think this is a great idea, once you have completed 10 of each OG for stat bonus and then obtain your 5 piece there is not a lot of incentive to continue to do these. By adding more token rewards I think would be excellent and give more veteran players reason to continue to run them. I think tcg rewards were always highly sought after such as the newer vehicles, class specific weapons, rare DNA, rare paintings and decor, rare junk loot, unique schematics, etc.
That sounds great. A way to structure it as well, each OG instance has a vendor next to the NPC that is related to that heroic to start, or stick em in Mos Eisley. The vendor from each OG instance will include the items that are only lootable inside that instance. Possibly being able to buy specific junk loot pieces for the rare exotic modifiers. This was a solution implemented in another game, where if you raided and didn't get loot , you earned currency regardless for completing the mission. Each lootable item such as schems or weapons could cost 10 tokens minimum exclusive to that instance.

Draskon

Dec 30, 2023
One thing that I think could also maybe help OGs not feel so much like a waste of time is if it could be made possible to allow every person at the end of a run get the chance at loot.

I'm not exactly sure why the original concept of completing these instances was up to the master looter on how loot was divvied (in general of MMO's, this wasn't exclusively a SWG issue). It still feels extremely mundane to complete these and only earn 1 or 2 tokens and watch a single person get basically anything, even if it was junk or not what they wanted.

The more modern way raids handle their loot is having both systems; tokens for guaranteed/special rewards, and everyone gets a drop in the encounters/instances that have them. It would give more chances for people to get loot, but it also might incentivize more sharing of said loot, since I know the single person loot issue can breed toxicity and resentment after a while.

A drop after each encounter would probably be nice as well, as I personally liked the way Destiny/Destiny 2 did their raids and dungeons. Set encounters would always reward a drop and currency to where you could get up to 4 or 5 max depending on how long the activity/how many encounters it had. The trade-off was that they had weekly lockouts, but I would rather it stay daily because obviously not every wants to or can run every day anyway, but for those that can, that'd be nice.

Solo players that brings alts could maybe half their rewards put down to account only rather than character to prevent quadruple dipping. Just some ideas.

Reactions: windshadow0177

DWTerabyte

Mar 12, 2023
A drop after each encounter would probably be nice as well, as I personally liked the way Destiny/Destiny 2 did their raids and dungeons. Set encounters would always reward a drop and currency to where you could get up to 4 or 5 max depending on how long the activity/how many encounters it had. The trade-off was that they had weekly lockouts, but I would rather it stay daily because obviously not every wants to or can run every day anyway, but for those that can, that'd be nice.
This could possible be expanded on a bit further, completing a weekly of completing the OG's / instances, encounters and each weekly finished would grant a reward. Not a new mechanic by any means, but something to look forward to..

Feb 28, 2024
Johnson City, TN USA
That sounds great. A way to structure it as well, each OG instance has a vendor next to the NPC that is related to that heroic to start, or stick em in Mos Eisley. The vendor from each OG instance will include the items that are only lootable inside that instance. Possibly being able to buy specific junk loot pieces for the rare exotic modifiers. This was a solution implemented in another game, where if you raided and didn't get loot , you earned currency regardless for completing the mission. Each lootable item such as schems or weapons could cost 10 tokens minimum exclusive to that instance.
This idea makes me happy in all the places...

I would L O V E to see something implemented like this.

mediocrebh

Oct 10, 2023
Speaking from a guy that has had terrible RNG on all servers, I like this idea. We've all been around the guy that seems to get all the TK rucksack drops and then loots the mural on the same run....the one guy that makes you check and make sure the loot is on random, while you try to not be petty, it is a little disheartening, but if you can at least acquire some of these loot items just by running instances, it makes it more encouraging.

Feb 28, 2024
Johnson City, TN USA
Speaking from a guy that has had terrible RNG on all servers, I like this idea. We've all been around the guy that seems to get all the TK rucksack drops and then loots the mural on the same run....the one guy that makes you check and make sure the loot is on random, while you try to not be petty, it is a little disheartening, but if you can at least acquire some of these loot items just by running instances, it makes it more encouraging.
Been there, done that...

Maybe the better way is a currency system with a peppering of rare (as in frequency) drops like someone else suggested here (can't remember right off who). That way we can work towards getting what they we need/want. Take the horrible RNGeezus right off of the table.

I will say that this would definitely encourage me to run OGs more.